Introduction to Synoptic Gospels introduces methodologies for interpreting the New Testament, particularly the gospels of Matthew, Mark and Luke. This course analyzes the Synoptic Gospels’ genre, structure, theological emphasis and socio-historical context. This course explores the transmission of Jesus traditions during the first century and how it relates to the Synoptic Gospels. Moreover, this course will teach students so that they become familiar with different reading methods for the Bible, using reader-focused, literary and historical strategies.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the theological emphases, genre, socio-historical context and structure of the Synoptic Gospels.
- Undertake a critical analysis of the passages of the Synoptic Gospels.
- Be familiar with the critical theories underlying the processes that led to the writing of the Synoptic Gospels.
- Learn about the social and cultural circumstances at the Mediterranean world during the times of the New Testament.
- Demonstrate knowledge of different reading methods to the Synoptic Gospels.
- Understand the transmission of Jesus traditions during the first century.